Monday, May 23, 2011

It's the end of the world! Well...Maybe Not...Yet.

May 21, 2011 at 6 pm is when it was forecast. The world was suppose to begin the end, with all of the 'devout' Christians taken to heaven while the rest of us heathens suffered for several more months.

  Nothing happened.

 I can admit a sort of sadness when these things fail. I knew this wouldn't happen, many of us knew, and we openly mocked the delusional for their willingness to give up everything for an unrealistic hope. I can still admit a very small fraction of me had wanted for some part of what they said to be true...just to be rid of them. Honestly, I think the world would be better if we could actually focus on the important things in life...like science.

 It's over now and the people who gave up everything they ever had now have to deal with the consequences. I can't help but feel a little sad for them. These people attached to a dream because life is hard. They wanted to see light at the end of the tunnel in a time when there doesn't feel like there is one. The economy is horrible, the republicans want to strip workers rights and female reproductive choice, as well as give cuts to the wealthy, and the people at the bottom are the ones suffering the most. It won't just be the believer who suffers, but their children and their relatives. Without any money, without their home, with credit cards maxed out (should they have done so), who does the burden fall on? The community.

 So maybe we should feel sad for them. Maybe we should be a community and try to help them pick their lives back up, maybe give them hope without the need for religion to do so.

Just a thought.

I think somehow, we'll all feel the burden of this. I can't say for sure, I can't even prophesize because, let's face it, I have no evidence. It's just something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment